Sunday, March 8, 2009

Week Zero

A.


These sketches were part of a design project in which I designed costumes for the main characters of a story turn play. These are two of my designs I created for the characters ‘Alice’ and ‘The Queen of Hearts’ of Alice in Wonderland. I took inspiration from the dramatic nature of mime art and the link between colour and temperament. I used black and white as a basic palette to accentuate the character's 'true colours'.


B.

Hiraoko Otani – Layer House

The designer created his unique home on a slender 2.9m wide block in Kobe, Japan. Otani dealt with the small 33m2 area by building up and down. Public and private spaces were creating by using multiple levels to separate spaces rather than through conventional doors and walls. The house was built using stacked concrete planks as a shell, thus the name Layer House. Otani used the void between each concrete beam to provide function, cantilevering wooden planks to create stairs, tables and chairs and allowing light into a house without conventional windows.


C.

This photo was taken in Shinjuku, Tokyo on a trip to Japan last year. This was my first feel of Tokyo and I felt like a moth being drawn in by the bright lights. This photo shows that beauty can be found in an urban environment. Japan also holds a fascination with me because of how culturally different it is to Australia.


Fiona Hall

integral, encompassing, controversial




Tracey Moffat

fabrication, wandering, ambigious




Rosalie Gascoigne

infinty, obscuring, erratic


No comments:

Post a Comment